Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Why Are We Still So Paper-Based?


It continually amazes me how much paper my last job produced - I was working as a database coordinator for an academic department at the UW. Sounds like a pretty electronic-centric position, right?

Wrong.

I had a brown paper bag I used to collect mixed paper for recycling. I think I emptied it every other week. That doesn't seem too bad if you don't think too much about that. A supposedly paperless position, filling up a Safeway brown paper bag every two weeks!! Reports and presentations and notes, printouts and event planning materials.

Currently I'm interning with the university's information technology office, and it just baffles me. We print out so much electronically-based documents and artifacts. Everything from emails and reports and meeting handouts. While laptops are dominant, notes are still often taken with paper and pen. Though personally I'm thankful that what I'm doing now produces very little printed work, even though I find myself in the center of a paper-laden environment.

I think that this is partly a holdover of established working practices - it is only very relatively recently that we could make almost any document electronic. This is probably the core of the reason - people who have been working for the last 15 to 30 years are not likely to want to change how they've been doing things. In a world where technological innovations have ripped through our societies, radically changing and shifting established assumptions and practices, it is difficult to keep up with the latest anything, let alone quickly adapt.

This is not to say that there haven't been successful moves to reduce paper use - as part of a university -wide initiative, the office is required by state law to use 100% recycled paper, reduce paper use by 30% beginning July 2010, and to recycle all office paper. It seems as if there is steady support for it, but it certainly takes more than throwing away paper in a different box. Moving towards paperless or paper-scarce environments requires a shift in attitude, behavior, and an acceptance that it won't always be convenient or the same as it was before.




No comments:

Post a Comment