Friday, January 14, 2011

A Plethora of Words - An Update

I've started out this Winter quater term with a very full but wonderful plate. I have a fantastic internship with Annie Searle & Associates (ASA) as a research associate. I am able to research and write on risk and crisis management issues, something I am increasingly excited about as a career path, which has been an ongoing concern in my head. While I love what I'm learning at school, it has been difficult to not know exactly what I want to do after the degree. And so I'm quite pleased that I've found an area that I am interested that has a name and recognized professionals out there. Secondly, I'm working on my final-year Capstone project, the culminating part of the program. We are challenged to put our knowledge into practice, which is sometimes daunting but oh so exciting. This is also going to be implemented at ASA, which makes things a lot more enjoyable since I am settled there already.

I look forward to seeing some topical overlap in my information security class as well, which is focusing on risk management for the most part through an IT lens. And I must say, I have quite enjoyed our "Policy, Law and Ethics in Information" class so far. It reminds me of my undergrad days - getting to read and discuss Hobbes and Rawls is almost nostalgic. But the best thing really is that it is an application of knowledge from my BA degree into my master's work. That hasn't happen very often, so it is quite fun for me.

But people are fascinating regardless of context. I am doing an independent study with a professor over at the business school, and I am getting to track and map out the people over the years that have influenced Boeing and the Puget Sound area. It is fascinating to see how all the brilliant people came together, and how they seem to have drawn other smart people and the companies that want smart people to them.

All in all, quite an overwhelming plate. But it is all so good! I just have to be careful not to get sick off of all the lovely bounty of information before me. I am writing and reading so much these days I am a bit overwhelmed by even trying to keep up with the news some days. But words are powerful, and it seems that I have to take advantage of the opportunity to both consume and produce as many as I can.

No comments:

Post a Comment